SSUSA Job #564: Senior Unix AIX System Engineer
SENIOR UNIX/AIX SYSTEM ENGINEER
Responsible for the installation, maintenance, and tuning of UNIX/AIX hardware and software systems.
- Provide technical analysis and design support for applications running on AIX and Linux platform
- Managing project and task deliverable commitments, system changes and upgrades
- Perform system-debugging tasks and track from incident detection through resolution (including Vendor escalations)
- Work individually or in a team on various system projects related to AIX, Linux, UNIX, and Application Support.
- Supervises and provides technical guidance to the Staff in the Operations and Systems administration group
- Directs and checks the work of other Systems Administrators (SAs)
Architecture and Engineering
- Work closely with Architecture and Engineering, and Security to implement new products and upgrade existing Infrastructure.
- Work closely with Architecture and Engineering, and Security to secure/harden Linux or AIX Operating System deployment in production.
- Makes system hardware and software recommendations as required.
- Assist in evaluating new hardware and software and develop creative solutions to complex technological challenges.
- Analyze and evaluate Business and Application/Infrastructure project’s server requirements, capacity planning, configuration, HA and monitoring requirements
Development and Automation :
- Develop and maintain scripts to automate tasks and deployment.
- Develops test plans and procedure for implementing new software or new releases of software.
- Update NIM environment with new SPOTs and LPPs as they are available from IBM
Implementation and Support
- Deploy, configure and manage pSeries hardware infrastructure with redundant VIO servers for virtualization
- Debugs and solve complex problems associated with UNIX/Linux servers in production and test environment.
- Tunes system software for peak performance and availability.
- Prepares installs and implement operating system software (AIX and RedHat Linux) and associated components.
- Test and implement hardware and software upgrades and if necessary works off shift hours to implement changes with minimal downtime.
- Plan, prepare and apply maintenance fixes to system software and firmware as required.
- Provides end User and Developers support including off-shift and on-call support.
- Provides technical training for Information Technology personnel as needed.
- Maintains AIX/Linux Disaster Recovery Plan and actively participate in Technology and Business Recovery activities.
- Stays abreast with technical and operational tools and knowledge required to perform assigned duties.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and at least five (5) or more years’ experience in UNIX/Linux Systems Engineering and Administration, with increasing administrative and leadership responsibilities or an equivalent in education and work experience.
Summary of Skills Required
5+ years of AIX Systems Engineering and Administration experience
2+ years of RedHat Linux Advanced Systems Administration experience
3+ years of strong shell scripting experience (ksh, Bash, perl)
Good organization and documentation skills.
Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
Ability to work effectively in a team
Extensive knowledge and experience in all facets of UNIX/Linux Systems Engineering and Administration, decision-making and technical work management skills.
- Minimum 5+ years experience in Systems Engineering and Administration of IBM AIX, HMC, VIO/PowerVM, HACMP/PowerHA, GPFS and other operating system and virtualization technologies such as Linux and VMWare
- Solid understanding of IBM Power/pSeries hardware architecture
- Strong scripting experience, korn, bash and/or perl as well as utilization of tools to automate repeatable processes
- Advanced networking concepts, TCP/IP, routing, firewalls, network security
- Strong ability to document and create training material
- Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency, flexibility, adaptability and comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis
Additional Skills (Good to have):
- Experience with BladeLogic
- Experience with working in a SAN environment (EMC VMAX/VPLEX)
SEND YOUR RESUME TO CLIFF@SSUSA.COM
Jersey City, NJ